As a Maverick you love to test boundaries and push yourself. You are a thrill-seeker, driven and adventurous. You have a strong sense of esteem, and others admire you readily.
Examples of Mavericks
- Elon Musk - the world's leading entrepreneurial Maverick, with eyes on settling Mars, revolutionising renewable energy and fast transport, and building a brain-computer interface.
- Sir Richard Branson - not shy of trying and failing, Sir Richard has launched numerous successful - and unsuccessful - ventures.
- Princess Leia in Star Wars - she was a focused and passionate leader in the rebellion, and stood toe to toe with Darth Vader (aka Dad)
Strengths of Mavericks
- Steely confidence
- Courage and risk-taking
- Passionate vision
Capacity to Influence
Energy and charisma as well as vision attracts followers, supporters, and fans.
The Maverick can lack the self-awareness to know limits and temper limitations. While their sheer force of nature can draw a pretty big slipstream and pull people along, it can also leave people behind in the wake. Pace matters!
How to move from Maverick to Explorer
- Examine your self-renewal patterns. Are you keeping up with yourself? Do you need to moderate your boundless enthusiasm and energy to bring people along for the ride with you, not just behind you?
- Seek to grow other leaders alongside you to take on some of the load. You will build redundancy and strength in your vision and project this way.
- Consider shifting focus from constant DOING to elevated BEING. You might be surprised how much can be achieved when you allow yourself - and others - to pause and be for a time. Remember - you're in this for the long haul!