Here are some questions to check your morale DNA:
- Do you make a big deal of new employees?
- Do you show them around and introduce them to all the team members?
- Do you make sure they have their workspace ready to go?
- Do you have some objects that let them know they are one of the tribe? (Yes, a branded coffee cup of their own can count here)
- Do you help employees connect with the bigger picture?
- Do employees know what you care about, why you do what you do, and how what they do fits in to the bigger cause?
- Do you measure and showcase the impact you’ve had on your clients and make sure everyone knows about it?
- How is the ‘game’ of your work?
- What rules are you playing by?
- Are they clear and agreed?
- Or are there some outdated rules that are clunky?
- What systems create friction rather than flow?
- Frustration instead of fun?
- How do you know if you’re winning the game of work?
- Is progress visible and meaningful?
- What prize do you get when you ‘win’ at work?
- How often do you celebrate wins and winning?
Cleaning up the game of work is a very pragmatic way to boost morale. Just make things easier, simpler, and more fun.